Updated Personal Survival Techniques
This half day course is for those seeking updating training in Personal Survival Techniques as per the STCW Manila Amendments
It has been agreed that some of the required updating training may be carried out onboard ships, with certain elements that have to be undertaken at an MCA approved training centre. The following training and experience that can be undertaken onboard is as follows:
- Don a lifejacket
- board a survival craft from the ship while wearing a lifejacket
- Take initial actions on boarding a lifeboat to enhance chance of survival
- Stream a drogue or sea anchor
- Operate survival craft equipment
- Operate location devices, including radio equipment
By complete the above training onboard and by signing the self declaration to confirm, this will permit you to meet the prerequisites of the half-day course.
During the practical you will be required to do the following:
- Correctly don and use an immersion suit
- Jump from a height into the water
- Swim while wearing a life jacket
- Right an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket
- Keep afloat without a life jacket
- Board a survival craft from the water while wearing a life jacket unassisted
- Hold a STCW PST certificate
- Fully complete the required Self -Declaration form to confirm you have maintained the required standard of competence by onboard training and experience.
- This course can be physically demanding and therefore you will be required to complete a fitness declaration
Please bring a towel. Swimwear to be worn with underneath t-shirt and shorts. Showers are provided.
Delegates will be required to successfully complete the practical exercises in order to be issued with an MCA approved STCW Updated Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques certificate; Regulation VI/1, paragraph 1 and Section A-VI/1, paragraph 3 and 4.1 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978 as amended.