Personal Survival Techniques (PST)
Part of the mandatory Basic Safety Training, Personal Survival Techniques will give delegates the training needed to survive at sea in the event of ship abandonment.
During the practical elements of the course you will:
- -Correctly don a lifejacket
- -Correctly don and use an immersion suit
- -Jump from a height into the water
- -Swim while wearing a life jacket
- -Right an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket
- -Keep afloat without a life jacket
- -Board a survival craft from the water while wearing a life jacket unassisted
Delegates will be required to complete a short exam and complete the practical exercises in order to be issued with an MCA approved STCW Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques certificate; Regulation VI/1, paragraph 1 and Section A-VI/1, paragraph 2.1.1 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978 as amended.
The 2010 Manila Amendments to the STCW Convention 1978 stipulate that Seafarers are required, every five years, to provide evidence of having maintained the required standards of competence to undertake the tasks, duties and responsibilities regarding emergency, occupational safety and survival functions. This includes Personal Survival Techniques.
Please bring a towel. Swimwear to be worn with underneath t-shirt and shorts. Showers are provided.
- -Be at least 16 years of age.
- -This course can be physically demanding and therefore you will be required to complete a fitness declaration